With the Superbowl right around the corner, I thought I would share one of my favorite healthy and easy appetizers!
Before I fully committed to going dairy-free (because of GI issues amongst other things), I LOVED the cheesy, gooey, spicy, salty, chickeny buffalo chicken dip that always seemed to make an appearance at sporting and tailgating events.
Last year, we had a few friends over to watch the Superbowl and I thought I was really going to miss having buffalo chicken dip at such events. But then I thought, why should I have to miss it? Surely there’s a way to get something at least similar without dairy – there’s all kinds of dairy replacements available these days!
So I started experimenting, and came up with a pretty good substitute. Our friends, who are mostly all dairy eaters, even liked it!
Buffalo Chicken Dip (Dairy Free)
Serves: 6 Time: ~20 minutes
- 2 medium sized chicken breast (10-12 oz total)
- 5 oz store-bought roasted garlic hummus (about half of a 10 oz container) (or make your own if you have time! 🙂 )
- 6-7 T Hot Sauce (I prefer Frank’s)
- 1/3 C dairy-free plain, unsweetened yogurt
- 1 T Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/4 C shredded cheese alternative (such as Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Style Shreds)
- 1/4 C Nutritional Yeast, such as Braggs
- 2 T Tahini
- 1-2 T unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as cashew or almond, as necessary
- Poach the chicken breast until cooked through. Place chicken breast in small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool and then shred.
- Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients thoroughly in an oven safe or microwave safe dish.
- Add the chicken to the rest of the ingredients, adding small amounts of non-dairy milk as necessary to thin.
- Prior to serving, warm in the oven at 350F or in the microwave.
- Serve with veggies or chips of choice. I enjoy this with large slices of red bell pepper or celery!
Nutrition info: 192 tot cal, 9.9 g fat, 8.8 g carb, 16 g protein
1. If you eat dairy without issue, this recipe works fine with regular dairy products such as greek yogurt, shredded cheese, and milk
2. If you have a hard time finding plain, unsweetened dairy free yogurt, I’ve used avocado mayonnaise or olive oil mayonnaise in the past as well. I prefer the yogurt but mayonnaise works in a pinch!
3. If you want to make this vegan, you can substitute the chicken with canned jackfruit. I’ve found canned jackfruit in the canned vegetable isle of most major grocery stores near me. Just drain and rinse the jackfruit, and simmer it in a small saucepan with a bit of water until it starts to break down. Drain the water and shred with a fork. I’ve served this to a group and they were so surprised to find out it wasn’t chicken!
2 thoughts on “Buffalo Chicken Dip (Dairy Free)”
Pingback: Rainbow Thai Chicken Salad | Cece On The Go