With the Superbowl right around the corner, I thought I would share one of my favorite healthy and easy appetizers!
Before I fully committed to going dairy-free (because of GI issues amongst other things), I LOVED the cheesy, gooey, spicy, salty, chickeny buffalo chicken dip that always seemed to make an appearance at sporting and tailgating events.
Last year, we had a few friends over to watch the Superbowl and I thought I was really going to miss having buffalo chicken dip at such events. But then I thought, why should I have to miss it? Surely there’s a way to get something at least similar without dairy – there’s all kinds of dairy replacements available these days!
So I started experimenting, and came up with a pretty good substitute. Our friends, who are mostly all dairy eaters, even liked it!
Buffalo Chicken Dip (Dairy Free)
Serves: 6 Time: ~20 minutes
- 2 medium sized chicken breast (10-12 oz total)
- 5 oz store-bought roasted garlic hummus (about half of a 10 oz container) (or make your own if you have time! 🙂 )
- 6-7 T Hot Sauce (I prefer Frank’s)
- 1/3 C Avocado Mayonaisse (or light mayo of your choice)
- 1 T Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/4 C shredded cheese alternative (such as Trader Joe’s Almond Mozzarella Style Shreds)
- 1/4 C Nutritional Yeast, such as Braggs
- 2 T Tahini
- 1-2 T unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as cashew or almond, as necessary
- Poach the chicken breast until cooked through. Place chicken breast in small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool and then shred.
- Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients thoroughly in an oven safe or microwave safe dish.
- Add the chicken to the rest of the ingredients, adding small amounts of non-dairy milk as necessary to thin.
- Prior to serving, warm in the oven at 350F or in the microwave.
- Serve with veggies or chips of choice. I enjoy this with large slices of red bell pepper or celery!
Nutrition info: 192 tot cal, 9.9 g fat, 8.8 g carb, 16 g protein