I NEVER skip breakfast. If I were to miss it, trust me, you wouldn’t want to be anywhere near 🙂 #hangry – it’s a thing
Since I typically work out first thing in the morning, it’s important to have a protein packed breakfast ready and available afterwards. I’m also prone to having the dreaded blood sugar crash mid-morning if I don’t eat enough protein in the morning.
After working out in the morning, I’m usually rushing to get ready for work on time, so breakfast also needs to be fast and convenient.
These egg cups are perfect for all these reasons! They’re packed with lean protein, super easy to make ahead, portion out, and take on the run. They also reheat really well.
I typically use silicone muffin pans for these, as the egg cups pop right out and the pan is super easy to clean! I’ve used normal metal baking pans in the past, sprayed with cooking spray, and after fighting to get it clean, gave up and tossed it (not a proud moment – I hate giving up and I hate being wasteful!!!)
You can also mix these up with just about any veggie you like! I’ve done fresh spinach, bell peppers, onions, you name it! Depending on how much veg you add, you may need to reduce the eggs a touch so they don’t spill over (speaking from experience here 🙂 )
I also love topping theses with some salsa or hot sauce, such as Cholula, for some added flavor and spice!
Pic: heading to work for an extra long shift following a night with little sleep! So glad I had those egg bites to power me through!
Turkey Sausage Egg Cups
Servings: 8 (3 egg cups per serving) Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (I used 99% lean) or turkey sausage
- 14 large eggs
- Sausage seasoning (omit if using pre-seasoned sausage):
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1/2 t dried marjoram
- 1 t dried sage
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1 t dried rosemary
- 1/2 t ground fennel seed
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t dried parsley
- Cheese or non-dairy cheese substitute, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F
- If using regular ground turkey, use hands to mix all seasonings with turkey
- Form turkey into 24 rough balls
- Press turkey balls into bottom of each muffin slot
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, crack eggs and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper as desired
- If adding veggies, place small amount in muffin cups on top of sausage
- Pour egg mixture over turkey sausage (and veggies if added)
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until eggs are fully set
- Remove from oven, top with some shredded cheese if desired, and place back in oven for a few minutes until melted
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Nutrition info: 212 calories, 10.3 g fat, 2.5 g carb, 27.7 g protein
Note: CeceOnTheGo participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. The products linked are products actually used when preparing this recipe.