Since snowmageddon hit Kansas City this weekend, it seemed like a great time to make our favorite chicken quinoa chili! And then I realized that some time ago I said I would get this one up on the blog, but never did! Whoops! Better late than never right?!?
So, I’m not a huge fan of beans in general, so this chili is pretty light on the beans (only 1 can!), but definitely not light on flavor! Salsa verde adds a bright pop of flavor and a variety of green peppers adds plenty of filling vegetables! And of course, all the best toppings typical of chili, such as avocado, cilantro, and lime juice! Or, maybe those aren’t so typical…well regardless, delicious!
This chili starts out with a base of sauted onions, garlic, and toasted spices including cumin and oregano. Then layer in the multiple green peppers – bell pepper, jalapeno, and canned diced green chilies.
Then comes the flavor – salsa verde and chicken broth. Lastly, to make it filling, add in some quinoa, white beans, and chicken breast!
It’s filling, flavorful, slightly spicy, a little tangy, and perfect for a cold winter night!
Chicken Quinoa Chili
Servings: 6 Time: ~45 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Couple grinds black pepper
- 4 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced, ribs and seeds removed
- 8 oz canned, diced green chilis
- 12 oz salsa verde
- 15 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 C quinoa, rinsed
- 1.5 – 2 lbs chicken breast, diced
- 2 limes
- Toppings: diced avocado, lime juice, fresh cilantro, corn chips
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot over low heat
- Add onions and salt, sauteing until softened and translucent
- Add minced garlic, cumin, and oregano and saute a minute longer
- Add bell peppers, green chilis, and jalapenos and stir to combine
- Add salsa verde, chicken broth, beans, chicken, and quinoa
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Let simmer about 15 minutes until chicken and quinoa are fully cooked
- Ladle into bowls, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice (about 1/4 lime per bowl) and top with avocado and cilantro if desired
475 total Cal, 13 g fat, 43 g carbohydrate, 42 g protein